Thursday, November 19, 2009

Flirting With Flamenco

It's time for another post by a guest blogger: welcome, Diana!
***
Ola!

As readers of this blog know, this is my first posting for Studio23. And just a little info on me, I am a dance student at Studio23, and I learn a little of everything. Bellydance, Modern Jazz, Salsa and Flamenco...

Every dance is different and difficult in its own way, but personally for me Flamenco is the hardest of all. The percussive footwork, and intricate hand, arm and body movements are a little too much on a softie dancer like me! Well, blame that on traditional dance training I had since small :(

Anyway, after months of training under Serina, I think we've managed to look presentable enough on stage at the Dinner & Dance last Saturday. Considering the fact that we are only babies at Flamenco! Take a look at the following photos courtesy of Calvin Sim.




Looking good with Kayla :)


Okay I'm showing off here... cos I always get scolded for having the wrong posture!



And immediately the next day was our workshop with Kayla which was interesting and fun. Firstly, it's because Kayla has so much energy and her passion for Flamenco is AMAZING!! It's inspiring to meet someone who loves the art of Flamenco dance so much, and I found it quite a joy to watch her personal expressions and emotions change many times during her performances. Which of course I've yet to master because I normally have one expression on my face when I'm dancing ~ standard traditional dancer smile!




Workshop participants


So after a hectic weekend with the Dinner & Dance and Kayla's workshop, we decided to have a little celebration of our own. Did you think we Flamenco dancers wont know how to have a good time? Of course we had celebration in mind, especially after all those fierce stomping and emotion building in class! So Jambu it was for a nice Flamenco party with Tapas and Sangria's.....



Cheers !!


This is what happens to dancers who has had a little too much of Sangria's !!


All in all, we had a good night in Jambu. New friendships were forged amongst Level 1 and Level 2 students, we had a chance to perform to a small crowd of frequent patrons of Jambu but most of all, we had some good womenly bonding time and some good memories for you know, the memory bag :)

No comments:

 
Free counter and web stats